Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Friday is my Fun Day BONUS: Butterfly Crystals And Sunset over Snow

No, it's not Friday, but I got a chance to blog about these two pieces over at my own blog: http://godsartistinresidence.blogspot.com/ and ran out of time to share here. 
I definitely wanted to go ahead and share these pieces before moving on to other projects.  I completed these two projects the week before last, and finally got a lovely sunny day to photograph them.


Butterfly Crystals

My butterfly piece is wire work wrapped with freshwater pearls, Swarovski crystals and Quartz.


I love the sparkle and elegance, and wish that my photos could give a clear picture of just how dazzling the piece is to the naked eye.

I think what pleases me the most about this piece is the asymmetry.  I enjoy working both symmetrically and asymmetrically, but I definitely like this best. I feel like this piece has stretched me creatively, and I love that!  I rarely use large crystals like the three in this piece.  I tend toward tiny work, but tiny beads wouldn't have been bold enough for what I was thinking. 




Sunset Over Snow

My snow piece is wire-wrapped seed beads and Swarovski crystals.  7 Strands of aurora borealis, clear, white, and silver seed beads have been wrapped together to create the snow, then a strand of crystals has been wrapped around the rest.

My favorite part of this piece is that I had the idea, and then I did it...  Kind of rare, really.  Most of the time I have the idea then run into some road-blocks and make changes.  Sometimes those changes make the piece way better, and sometimes they don't.  However, this time, it worked!

I saw the vision of a necklace depicting an Alaskan sunset on snow, and then I found the beads and put them together.  I wish it looked exactly like I imagined it...  It's still not exactly what I was thinking.  So I may not be completely done.  However, at this point I am satisfied.
 
Again, I wish my photos could show the true dazzle and sparkle of the piece.