Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday is My Fun Day- Bead Soup Party

I have had a marvelous week participating in Lori's Bead Soup Party!
http://lorianderson.blogspot.com/


I hope you have had an opportunity to check in with her blog and see all the amazing completed projects. I am pleased to be part of something so cool.
Here's the wonderful collection of beads my partner Lyn Foley sent me. http://www.lynfoley.com/


Look at the amazing green beads she made! Aren't they great? She made the nine beads across the center.
The small green beads are chalk turquoise and the white strand is made up of lovely freshwater pearls.
I fell in love with the little bird clasp.


I am very pleased with my completed project, but let me tell you- It took a LOT to get there.

I originally had an entirely different concept, and was working with a very specific idea of what I wanted. I rarely work toward a goal like this, but I also rarely work with large glass beads such as Lyn's so I wanted a goal.


My concept drawing reflects a delicate and graceful vine with the focus entirely on Lyn's bead.

But here is where my lack of experience with large glass focal beads torpedoes my design.... Her bead was MUCH too heavy for the delicate vine. It literally pulled the vine right off my neck.... So I fought with that for a bit, and tried a couple of other ideas... Tried to rig a chain across the front, tried a different bead, tried finding beads for the vine end that would balance with her bead...
And got frustrated.
Very frustrated.
I didn't like any of the other ideas as much as my original vision...

And then it happened!
 
I had a new vision. A good one... Maybe not as unique as my original concept, but I'm pleased with the final project. I still have other beads from Lyn's goodie bag to use, and I am looking forward to the challenge. =)


*Update*
I was able to finish the bracelet tonight!  I spent so much time fighting with myself over the necklace that I wasn't sure if I would get it done in time.  But I did, and I wanted to share it. 


Still beading-
Becca

38 comments:

steufel said...

Elegant design!

Nicki said...

I think this is really really pretty. Elegant and clean. I love the green and how you have attached the pendant - did you use pre-made wire components? Looks really cool. And is the chain crocheted or knotted - I can't really see this in the picture.

B and B said...

Steufel, Thank you!

Thank you, Nicki!
No, the wire-work is all mine... The wave chain links are pre-made, but all the rest is my own wire wrapping. I started with three strands of silver, then added two strands of green 'artistic wire' over that.

Rebecca said...

Hey Becca! This is lovely, I REALLY like what you've done here. Beautiful design (and didn't you have some gorgeous beads to work with?!) and you have executed it beautifully. Even your sketch looks gorgeous! I wish I could draw like you!

Rebecca

Denise Yezbak Moore said...

The wire work is very cool. I love the way you twisted the beads together. The design turned out beautiful. I enjoyed viewing your design process i.e., sketches. Very nice.

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

I love the bale, it really does the bead justice. Great job!

Regina said...

Great post, like the way you describe the challenges you faced and your end result is gorgeous never-the-less. Like your delicate wirework. Congratulations. I particularly like the bracelet, the flower beads and the clasp go so well together. Nicely done.

elisabeth said...

It might not have ended up the way you started but the result is fantastic - a great way to show off a beautiful bead!

Spirited Earth said...

this is so delicate and beautiful.lovely work

Megilon said...

I love the color combination! And I love the way you used the focal. The bracelet looks great too.

moonlitfantaseas said...

love what you did with your bead soup
I really like the necklace!

cindydolezaldesigns said...

So Fresh. I love both the necklace and the bracelet.

Debbie / Prairie Emporium said...

I love what you did with the chain and the lampwork. Great job!!!

Carol B said...

Very pretty. I love the vine idea. It still looks vine-like. :)

Emerald Window said...

Wow! beautiful Beads. Love the pieces you made with them.
Cenya

Charlene said...

I know what you mean - some things work better on paper than in reality. I really like your final design quite a bit. I think the chain drop gives significance to the bead without making it seem heavier than everything else. Nice job!

Pearl and Pebble said...

It's lovely and I love all the green!!! The bird clasp is sooooo cute I can't stand it.

one-eared pig said...

Just lovely!

Kella said...

First off thanks for sharing the trials of your design process, sometimes it is easy to forget how much thought and care goes into creating such lovely wearable pieces of art.

Your pieces are indeed beautiful and they show off these very beautifully crafted lampworked beads exquistely.

Unknown said...

This is so light and just speaks of lovliness! really like what youve done! This is a job so well done!
Cheers~Janet

Heather said...

Wow, beautiful delicate necklace- I love the focal bead and your bracelet is really wonderful (I want it) please? Nice work. I totally understand your frustration with the first design which was wonderful. It is sad when they just don't work.

Laurel said...

As my ex used to say, "Done is good!" Really pretty pieces!

Anonymous said...

I like the final piece, maybe you can do the original design with a felted bead or perhaps a stuffed fabric bead.
Beadily yours
Susan Feldkamp

Gardanne said...

Very pretty, I love seeing your concept drawings. No good idea is wasted your original design will lead to something else.

Christine said...

Oh, those are beautiful pieces! I really like that you showed and talked about the progression from your original idea to the finished design. Beautiful, beautiful!

TesoriTrovati said...

So glad that you were able to participate in this soup. I really love that you found a way to make it work, even if it wasn't your original vision. I love the way you suspended that bead. Very nice!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

ViviBijoux said...

You're so good at putting your ideas on paper, I've tried to do that with no avail. Your final necklace works really well and I love the bracelet.All in all, Great! smiles, Virginie

Marieke said...

It's lovely and elegant.
I also enjoyed the fact you've shared your designprocess

Cathryn said...

I absolutely love, Love, LOVE what you did with these ingredients! It's soft, romantic (made me think of budding spring plants) and delightfully "girly!" I liked the process you took us through with the sketches--because I can't draw stick people to resemble stick people! I love the colors too! Great job!

Pretty Things said...

Oh SWEET! I love how you made the pendant drop! What wonderful work!

Jennifer Cameron said...

I think I like the 2nd version better than your original vision. It's just stunning.

Lyn Foley said...

Hi Rebecca; I posted a comment earlier, but guess it got lost. Love what you did with my beads. Didn't realize they would seem big or heavy to you. Think the bracelet is lovely and graceful. and the necklace shows off the focal bead so nicely.

Come on over and see what I did with your copper!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Wonderful design. It is great how you started with one idea, didn't work, but kept trying until you came up with a perfect design. Awesome! I also like how you showed your process.

Courtney Breul said...

Really nice. I like the delicateness of it!

Marie Cramp said...

You did great! They both look fantastic!

Unknown said...

Hey Becca- you did a great job! Have a nice day! See ya Doris

Patti said...

What a lovely way to make everything work together. Beautiful!

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

So feminine! I love the bracelet!