Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday is My Fun Day!- Pendants

YAY! I'm done with my Metal-smithing final! I did good!

Boo! I'm done with Metal-smithing... That makes me sad. I'm going to miss all the wonderful tools. I will miss the drill press, the torch, the rolling mill, the sander, the polisher, the flex shaft, the saws, the files... I could go on and on. However, I have become convinced that I will continue working with metal. I am quite solidly addicted.

Here's my Creative Project for the day:
Beth's Pendant

I made this one for Beth's birthday, and I'm delighted with it.
I like the assymetry and the layers.
I created this one like I created mine.  http://godsartistinresidence.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-is-my-fun-day-butterfly-pendant.html



Part 1-
First I annealed the metal with the torch to make it soft so that it would take the leaf impression. Then I chose a fern leaf and ran them through the rolling mill.

Part 2-
I drew the flowers & the butterfly and cut them out with a jeweler's saw. Then I soldered them onto the pendant. Then I created the little silver balls and soldered them into the center of the flowers.

Part 3-
I applied several layers of liver of sulphur on the fern frond using a toothpick. Then I washed it and pickled it. Finally I sanded and sanded and sanded.

And after seeing the results, I chose to solder the little tiny silver balls to the center of these flowers, too. I'm more pleased with the appearance now than I was before. I like the 3 layers now- the impression, the butterflies and flowers, and then the little centers of the flowers.

http://godsartistinresidence.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-is-my-fun-day-butterfly-pendant.html

From Becca

No comments: